Introducing youth to the guide dog lifestyle.
Plan now to join us for Camp GDB!
WHEN: July 24-28, 2023
WHERE: Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon
OPEN TO: Teens ages 14-17 who are blind or have low vision
Guide Dogs for the Blind recognizes that the human-animal bond is unique; we want to give teens with visual impairments the opportunity to experience its life-changing potential. At Camp GDB, participants will explore the companionship, independence, and responsibility of having a guide dog. Campers will experience hands-on fun and unique activities with dogs, and learn why orientation and mobility (O&M) skills are so important for a successful partnership with a guide dog. Participants will also make new friends, and just have a whole lot of camp fun, including outings, activities, and fireside s'mores (of course)! The program will be held at the Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon, which is roughly seven miles from Guide Dogs for the Blind's Oregon campus.
Camp GDB s FREE and open to participants who meet the following criteria:
- Blind or visually impaired and considering a guide dog for mobility
- Self-sufficient with daily living skills i.e., dressing, bathing/showering, eating, toileting, etc.
- Be physically capable of fully participating in all aspects of our Camp GDB program, including working a guide dog, managing a dog for an overnight experience, a hike etc.
- Have the emotional readiness and maturity required to attend a residential summer camp program.
- Have sufficient Orientation & Mobility skills and can independently travel around the camp facility.
Participants are responsible for transportation to and from the Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon, or the Portland International Airport. If transportation is a financial burden, please inquire about assistance.
Note: Camp is FULL, but we are accepting applications to our waitlist.
Applications received after this date will be put on a wait list.
We recommend you apply early as summer programs are popular and fill up quickly.
Download the Camp GDB Application Form (.docx)
For more information about Camp GDB, please contact Jane Flower at [email protected] or 800.295.4050.