Careers & Canine Connections
Thank you for your interest in Careers & Canine Connections, a collaborative effort between Guide Dogs for the Blind and APH Career Connect, a program of the APH Connect Center.
WHEN: August 7-12, 2023
WHERE: Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon
OPEN TO: Transition-age young adults ages 18-24 who are blind or have low vision
Get ready for a weeklong exhilarating deep dive into career exploration and how a guide dog fits into your future employment. During this innovative week of learning and personal growth, you'll discover a variety of career options you may not have considered, and the value of networking for both work and greater independence. You'll compare mobility possibilities for travel to and from work and while on the job; explore vocational and employment resources and mentorship; and enjoy unique hands-on experiences with dogs. There will be ample time to connect with one another and make new friends, and to enjoy the beautiful Pacific Northwest! The program will be held at the Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon, which is roughly seven miles from Guide Dogs for the Blind's Oregon campus.
Careers & Canine Connections is FREE and open to participants who meet the following criteria:
- Blind or visually impaired and considering a guide dog for mobility.
- Self-sufficient with daily living skills i.e., dressing, bathing/showering, eating, toileting, etc.
- Be physically capable of fully participating in all aspects of our Careers & Canine Connections program, including working a guide dog, managing a dog for an overnight experience, a hike, etc.
- Have the emotional readiness and maturity required to attend a residential program.
- Have sufficient Orientation & Mobility skills and can independently travel around the lodging facility.
Participants are responsible for transportation to and from the Hull Foundation & Learning Center in Sandy, Oregon, or the Portland International Airport. If transportation is a financial burden, please inquire about assistance.
Applications are DUE on or before April 15, 2023
Applications received after this date will be put on a wait list.
We recommend you apply early as summer programs are popular and fill up quickly.
Download the Careers & Canine Connections Application Form (.docx)
For more information about Careers & Canine Connections, please contact Jane Flower at [email protected] or 800.295.4050.